What Is An Air Ambulance?
An air ambulance is an aircraft that conveys injured or ill people either in a medical emergency or over distances or land terrain that is impractical for a conventional ground ambulance. An air ambulance provides medical care in flight.
Why Are Air Ambulances Important?
- Time-Saving: Air transport allows long distances to be covered in a shorter time than would be possible with ground transport. For patients, this is even more important as the first hour of an accident or emergency situation is critical to the survival of the patient, therefore the time from injury to getting advanced care is crucial to determining clinical outcome.
- Poor Road Network: A patient could easily bleed out in the time it takes to get to the receiving hospital on ground because of bad roads, poor road network however, air ambulances effectively bypass narrow roads, port holes, crowded, and twisting roads that may cause further injury to the patient.
- Equipment: Air ambulances are equipped with medical equipment crucial to monitoring and treating injured or critically ill patients. Some of these are ventilators,ECGs, multi-parameter monitors, emergency medications and stretchers. People eligible for air transport are usually critically ill and would require critical care while in transit to the specialist centre. Air ambulances are therefore required to be fitted with these equipment.
- Accessibility: Tertiary care centres are the main providers of critical care and they are located mostly in cities and central areas thus providing very limited access to people who live or work in remote areas that may require specalised care. Only air ambulances can help these people get definite care in an effective and speedy manner, when they are seriously ill or injured.
Other reasons to consider, especially in Africa are:
- Lack of a developed public emergency response system
- Poor healthcare Infrastructure
- Presence of Infectious Diseases
- Violence and Insurgencies
Why do you need an Air Ambulance Cover in Africa?
An air ambulance cover is a form of health insurance coverage that gives you access to emergency air ambulance transport services at a reduced cost. Air ambulances can be quite expensive and no one knows when emergencies can occur. It is therefore important to be prepared.
About the Flying Doctors Nigeria Air Ambulance Service
Flying Doctors Nigeria is an air ambulance service that is dedicated to the specialist transfer of patients from low levels of care to specialist centres. We operate from Lagos, Nigeria and transfer patients between African countries Ghana, Liberia, South Africa, etc as well as the UK, Italy, America and all over the world.
To learn more about us and how you can get an ambulance cover, send us an email at email@example.com.
Or visit our website at www.flyingdoctorsnigeria.com