Coffee is one of the most popular and widely consumed beverages in the world. It is the go-to beverage for a lot of people immediately after they wake up in the morning.
Worldwide, experts estimate that people consume around 2.25 billion cups of coffee per day. A research concluded that drinking coffee has some benefits for conditions such as diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, Type 2 diabetes, Liver disease, Heart attack stroke and might even contribute to a longer life. However, Coffee still has potential risks, mostly due to its high caffeine content. For example, women who are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breastfeeding need to be cautious about caffeine.
Below are some health benefits of Coffee:
1. Can Improve Energy Levels and Make You Smarter: Coffee can help people feel less tired and increase energy levels This is because it contains a stimulant called caffeine, the most commonly consumed psychoactive substance in the world. Many controlled studies in humans show that coffee improves various aspects of brain function including memory, mood, vigilance, energy levels, reaction times and general mental function.
Coffee beans also contain polyphenols, a type of antioxidant.
2. Coffee contains essential nutrients:
Many of the nutrients in coffee beans make their way into the finished brewed coffee.
A single cup of coffee contains:
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2): 11% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI).
- Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5): 6% of the RDI.
- Manganese and potassium: 3% of the RDI.
- Magnesium and niacin (vitamin B3): 2% of the RDI.
3. Coffee brightens your mood:
Caffeine stimulates the central nervous system and boosts the production of neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and noradrenaline, which elevate your mood.
4. Coffee helps you burn fat:
Caffeine helps fat cells break down body fat and use it as fuel for training.
Regular black coffee (without milk or cream) is low in calories. In fact, a typical cup of black coffee only contains around 2 calories. However, adding cream or sugar will increase the calorific value.
5.Coffee can boost exercise performance:
Coffee is known for its ability to promote wakefulness and increase alertness, but the beverage is also an effective exercise performance enhancer because of its caffeine content.
Also, coffee can be a much cheaper alternative to caffeine-containing supplements like pre-workout powders.
Several studies have demonstrated that caffeine can delay exercise fatigue and improve muscle strength and power. If you’re looking to optimize coffee’s beneficial effects on exercise performance, it’s best to consume the beverage 30–60 minutes before a workout or sporting event. Keep in mind that the stimulating effects of caffeine from coffee can cause sleep problems if consumed too close to bedtime, as well as increase anxiety in some people.
Source: Healthline, Medical news.